Thursday, April 5, 2012

Our Book Club

Yesterday afternoon, we held the first official meeting of the Hungry Family Book Club.  Mama was in absentia, but Sis, Bud, and I spread blankets out in the grass and read in the sunshine for more than half an hour.  While Sis munched Cheerios!  I wouldn't say it was quiet, as Bud kept giving us updates on his book, but otherwise there were only birds and windchimes, the sweet smell of hyacinths on the cool breeze.

That night, Mama and I had our own book club meeting, spending literally hours entering and scanning, rating and sorting, titles on Goodreads.  I can't begin to tell you how much fun it was to do this--we talked about books we'd read together a long time ago (Patience and Sarah, Bar Stories, Little Women--Mama and I had a long-distance book club the first year we were together, each choosing titles to share with the other), books we'd bought together (lots of Gettysburg titles), audiobooks she shared with me (Remarkable Creatures, Lady and the Unicorn), titles we liked (Caleb's Crossing) and didn't (March, me more than her).  It was even better than date night at the bookstore.  And free!  I've sent invitations to a few people to join us on this website--join us if you'd like by looking up Mommy Hungry.

Happy Reading!  And recording!

No comments:

Post a Comment