Friday, December 9, 2011

A Zen Short

There is a well-known story in Zen Shorts about luck and perception.  You've probably heard a version of it.  A horse wanders up to a man's farm and his neighbors say he's lucky.  Maybe, he says.  Then his son breaks his leg trying to tame the horse.  His neighbors say he is unlucky.  Maybe, he says.  Then soldiers come to draft all the young men but don't take his son because of his broken leg.  He is lucky.  Maybe.  Things change.  A lot of life is how you look at it.

Today was like that for me.  I had an ultrasound appointment, ordered by my concerned gynecologist because I've had cramping for more than a week (not severe, just long lasting, constant, and more intense than usual).  Well, the first radiology office couldn't accommodate my back issues and I couldn't climb up and use the awkward pillow they had in lieu of the usual exam table with stirrups (TMI, I know).  I got achy and uncomfortable just trying.  So they transferred me, sending Driver and I to a totally different town which could squeeze me in.  Achy, I was also discouraged.

But at the second place, the tech was more chatty than she was probably supposed to be and, after examining my ultrasound from two months ago, told me she saw nothing new, different, or alarming.  I hope she's right.  Especially because it always takes almost a week for the doctor to get the report.  But I was glad to get any feedback.  She also had back issues and so we could commiserate about injections, therapies, specialists, and such.  In the end--though, I'm sure it's not the end (because, of course, all things change!)--it was a good, if exhausting, morning.



No comments:

Post a Comment