Saturday, December 17, 2011
Good Night, Bright Prince
I've been thinking about Christopher Hitchens frequently these last few days. I should start by saying I haven't read but one article by Hitchens--that on his own physical decline from esophageal cancer that defies the maxim and does not make him stronger--plus a review of his last compendium, then the NYTimes obituary and a eulogy and a few other reminiscences (and here and here and here and here). He seems a brilliant man, and not just because I neither recognize authors he quotes, speak languages he dissects, nor grasp history as broadly or deeply as he does. There is a wit about him, a clarity, a frankness. Or I should say was, for he died earlier this week at MD Anderson in Houston, aged 62. It is a loss I didn't fully realize until after the fact. I'd say requiescat in pace, but as he was a renown atheist, I'll hold his surviving family in my thoughts. And perhaps best of all, read more of his works (a selection of his Vanity Fair columns is here).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment