Today, we went out for the first time this week. Nothing like a little retail and fast food therapy to make us all feel more, well, American, er, I mean, human.
And the kids were marvelously well-behaved. At Target, they played hide-and-go-seek in the children's clothing section up front, after asking if they could (can you imagine--they asked if they could run off?!). It was pretty contained, mainly because I said they had to hide together and because another woman was keeping a very close eye on our proceedings and kept pointing out where they were. They came as soon as I said the game was over and then helped out with the shopping (we needed eggs and poster board, and I had promised rice krispie treat makings).
Because I'm still not picking them up, and because we only got the 1-seater cart, they hung off the outside. Most shopper-women smiled, knowingly. But one grandmotherly woman went into hysterics at me. "That is very dangerous."
And instead of noddingly politely and telling the kids to get down, or even just moving on, I replied, "Yes, well, it would be more dangerous if they climbed in and out of the cart and since there is only 1 seat there isn't anywhere for them to sit, is there?"
Stunned, she meekly asked if they were twins.
Yep, I was the badly behaved one at the store today.
And just to illustrate how differently people see things, right after this encounter we saw a mom pushing one cart with one child and a grandmother pushing another cart with the . . . same child. Yep, more twins. The mom stopped me--twin moms always recognize each other!--and was astounded at how well-behaved mine were, how they didn't run off.
She didn't care about how dangerous it was. Because twin moms have a whole 'nother standard!
No comments:
Post a Comment