Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Another Winner

We have another winner on the dinner front. Before tonight, there were two reliable standards: baked chicken with rice, gravy, and peas, and meatloaf (with a variety of flavorings, the most popular being ketchup).

Now we have a third: chicken cutlets.

I should start by saying I had never made a chicken cutlet before tonight. I like them, well enough, especially on a hero with cheese from delis in NYC. But I hadn't tried, mainly because I figured sauteing them would be a mess.

But you can bake them.

At the Pampered Chef party on Saturday, the consultant, demonstrating the trays, mentioned that she made cutlets all the time. So I asked her how. Her answer is below.

And tonight, with a few alterations, I tried it. And both kids liked them. Not as much as baked chicken with gravy (the gravy being the big selling point), but more than recent meatloaves. So, definitely a do-again.

Whew, I needed something new. And it's another 30-minute meal, great with steamed veggies.

-=-=-=-=-=

Another J's Chicken Cutlets

Never made chicken cutlets?! OMG! I live on them! And so easy...

I buy the thin sliced cutlets. Simply:

(1) Rinse them in water (pat dry).

(2) a. My addition: In the first bowl, I started with a seasoned flour dip, as per the PC catalog recipe

b. In another bowl place an egg and a tiny bit (1/4 cup?) of milk; stir so egg breaks and mixes with the milk.

(3) In the third bowl place bread crumbs (J uses 4 C; I used crushed corn flakes for the crunchy effect).

(4) Coat the cutlet in the flour, then the milk/egg combo, and then coat in the bread crumbs.


I bake approx. 1/2 hour on 350 or you can fry them in a skillet. If you get thicker cutlets, just check them after 1/2 hour to gage how long they need.

And, you will see after trying to finagle long cutlets in a bowl, how great the trays can be! In addition, I bake my cutlets (as does yet another J) on my stone - they stay juicy and taste amazing!

Lastly, for a twist, follow the steps above, but prior to baking, roll 'something' in the middle and stick a toothpick through - and it still bakes the same. My favorite is fresh mozz and roasted red pepper. Other J uses ham and cheese...my husband likes cheddar and broccoli.

J, the PC consultant

No comments:

Post a Comment