It's practically a Pride and Prejudice marathon over here.
Except none of it's the original Jane Austen book.
It started when I first visited our town's Little Library, a drop point where we can take and leave books to share. And I came across P.D. James's Death Comes to Pemberley on the very day that my friend Lambeth emailed me about it.
Now, I haven't started reading it, but I am reading Longbourn, Jo Baker's marvelous servants' version of the events of the novel. It's Dickensian narrative with Austenian trappings--and I'm loving it.
Meanwhile, I can't believe it, but Mama is listening to the audiobook of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies! And she can't stop laughing about it.
Plus, inspired by a FB post of an old high school buddy showing the "No Life . . . Without Wife" song from Bride and Prejudice, I rewatched that Bollywood-esque musical of the novel, which I've always enjoyed.
Which means now, of course, I mush rewatch Colin Firth in the classic.
And maybe even later Greer Garson and Lawrence Olivier.
Oh, and yeah, the actual original novel is on my reading list, too.
Loved Pride and Prejudice! Is mama laughing because it's genuinely funny or because it's ridiculous? I've had the book on my to read list for a long time and Im wondering if I shouldn't bother.
ReplyDelete