Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Family Biscuit Lore

I made my usual sourdough biscuits when Gommie and Pop were here and I swear I recall Gommie asking if they were her mom's (Bammie's) recipe for biscuits.  I didn't know there was a Bammie biscuit recipe--I love her bread, so this excited me--so I wrote to the person in the family who would know:  my Aunt Quilter (aka Aunt T.)

And today I got a reply, which I include here.  Not what I expected, but I'll try them soon.

     Well, your grandmother could not make a decent biscuit if her life depended on it.  They were like hockey pucks.  Her pie crust was not far behind.  She only made a decent pie crust when the oil and milk recipe came out.  That is the one I use today for pies and cobbler. She never did make biscuits.  I could not either until I met W.C. in E.C. and he taught me how.   These seem to turn out OK.  I have no idea if this is his original recipe or from some book.  It is probably very similar to yours.

Old Time Buttermilk Biscuits

2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons baking powder ( I must admit I use 6)
1/4 teaspoon soda
5 Tablespoons shortening
1 cup buttermilk

Blend shortening and dry ingredients until crumbly. Add buttermilk all at once.  Mix until pulls away from bowl. Turn onto floured board and knead about 1/2 minute. Cut and put on ungreased sheet.  Brush tops with melted butter.  Bake in 450 degree over for 12 to 15 minutes.  Makes about 14 or 16 biscuits.


Pie Crust(actually for 2 pies or 1 crust and 1 top. I, however, use it for one large pie crust, like 10" or 11")

2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup milk

One Pie Curst

1 1/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 oil
3 Tablespoons cold milk

Both of these are rolled out between sheets of waxed paper.

1 comment:

  1. Here's my story and I'm sticking to it: As many foods as Mother could make, biscuits was NOT one of them. When I misspelled "biscuit" in a spelling bee it became a family joke that we couldn't spell it or make it.

    ReplyDelete