Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Goodreads Reading

I haven't been too reflective this New Year's and haven't made any resolutions, not because I don't think there are things I can improve, only that resolutions don't seem to work for me.

But I did make one explicit goal:  I hope to read 50 books, tracking them on Goodreads.

Last year, I set a goal of 52, which I think I missed by 6 or so (though, I think some of them--like McCollough's Greater Journey and Ulrich's At Night's Close should have counted as more than one.)  So this year, I'm subtracting two for holidays, etc., and, besides, 50 is a nice round number.  I don't really mind that I missed my goal because I really liked working on it and feel like I read more than I ever would've otherwise.

I'm also planning a more specific theme to some of my reading this year:  I would like to revisit the 19th-century British novel.  Yep, of course Austen, but also Eliot, perhaps Dickens, Hardy, Gaskell, (Wilkie) Collins.  And Trollope, who my paternal grandmother favored so.  But no Bronte; not any of them.  I don't really like the Brontes (well, I liked Jane Eyre), despite their being my dear Aunt Sis's favorite.  I might, if time allows or interest changes, add some Wharton or James, though of course they're not British.  And, of course, there's always my mindfulness/Buddhism books, my hospice/death and dying books, my American history/historic house/social history books, my poetry books, my cookbooks/food writing/food history books, my kids/parenting/education books, and now my growing collection of Doctor Who books.  You'll notice that I don't really ever read modern American novels.  It's a lacuna--and why I can never claim to be a great reader--but I'm fine with that.

First up, The History of English Food  by Clarissa Dickson Wright, formerly one of the BBC's "Fat Ladies,"

Should be a good year.

-=-=-=-=-

Some ideas (and it's more than a year's worth . . . none of them new/current and almost all on my shelves!  I'm perpetually behind, by years, though I've read the Austens before.)

19th-century Novel

  1. Eliot, Mill on the Floss
  2. Eliot, Adam Bede
  3. Eliot, Daniel Deronda
  4. Eliot, Silas Marner
  5. Hardy, Tess
  6. Hardy, Far from the Madding Crowd
  7. Austen, Pride and Prejudice
  8. Austen, Sense and Sensibility
  9. Austen, Mansfield Park
  10. Austen, Emma
  11. Austen, Persuasion
  12. Austen, Susan
  13. Austen, Northanger Abbey


Food

  1. Dickson Wright, A History of English Food
  2. Bijan, Maman's Homesick Pie
  3. Engelhardt, A Mess of Greens
  4. Stavely, America's Founding Food
  5. Stavely, Northern Hospitality


Buddhism, mindfulness, etc.

  1. Brach, Radical Acceptance
  2. Boorstein, Solid Ground
  3. Salzberg, A Heart as Wide as the World


History

  1. Jaffe, The King's Best Highway
  2. Farrow et al, Complicity
  3. McCullough, 1776
  4. Philbrick, Mayflower
  5. Fenn, Pox Americana
  6. Withey, Dearest Friend
  7. Mantel, Wolf Hall etc
  8. Wood, The Story of England
  9. Swerling, City of Dreams
  10. Shorto, Island at the Center of the World


Hospice:

  1. Spencer-Wendel, Until I Say Good-Bye
  2. Watt and Tomatsu, Buddhist Care for the Dying and Bereaved
  3. The Arts of Contemplative Care (collection)
  4. Ware, Top 5 Regrets of the Dying
  5. Levine, A Year to Live
  6. Byock, Dying Well
  7. Anderson, Sacred Dying


Parenting, etc

  1. Steiner-Adair, The Big Disconnect
  2. Ripley, The Smartest Kids in the World and How They Got That Way
  3. Bauer, The Well-Trained Mind
  4. Faber, Sibling Rivalry
  5. Faber, How to Talk so the Kids will Listen etc.
  6. Gottman, Raising an Emotionally-Intelligent Child
  7. Fontana, Teaching Meditation to Children
  8. Greenland, The Mindful Child
  9. Kabat-Zinn, Everyday Blessings
  10. Kenison, Magical Journey
  11. Shumaker, It's OK Not to Share
  12. Wartenberg, Bid Ideas for Little Kids
  13. Hanh, Planting Seeds

Poetry
  1. Cries of the Spirit (collection)

Doctor Who
  1. Stone Rose
  2. Only Human
  3. Krillitane Storm
  4. The Slitheen Excursion

Misc.
  1. Thompson, Lark Rise to Candleford
  2. Chevalier, Burning Bright
  3. Lamott, Stitches

No comments:

Post a Comment