"I know Sis has a good poker face," I said last night over dinner, in reference to something I've forgotten. They know the song by Lady Gaga but didn't really know what the reference was. Soon Mama and I were explaining deal, ante-up, bet, hold, raise, fold, call, bluff, tell, and poker face. And mind you, I probably haven't played poker since I was Sis's age.
Before you know it, we had found a full deck of cards and distributed some M&Ms in place of money or chips. And a kids' book of games which laid out all the hands and how they compared. Then Mama pulled up some country music on the player and, of course, we listened to Kenny Rogers's "Gambler."
We played for 45 minutes or so, practicing our bluffing and figuring out all the hands. We mostly had pairs. But once, Mama dealt me, right off the bat, a straight. And I won lots of M&Ms. That hand. Bud enjoyed bluffing, every hand. At the end, I shared my candy with him. Sure, we didn't know exactly who starts the betting or how many times you raise. But we knew when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. No need to walk away.
And it's hard to not count your M&Ms when you're sitting at the table, even though there'll be time enough for counting when the dealing's done.
No comments:
Post a Comment