Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Soup Weather

Except the two warm-for-October days, we've had a lot of overcast and chilly weather this fall.  Which always reminds me of soup.

And so I made this incredible soup that Mama and I devoured (of course, with the beans, the kids didn't.)

If I could figure out how do a jar mix of it, I'd give it away as Christmas gifts (I should note that the original inspiration comes from a packaged mix of Peddler's Vegetarian Soup.)

-=-=-=-=-=-=

My Version of Peddler's Vegetarian Soup

1 1/2 cups dried beans (combination of Navy, Great Northern, pink, pinto, red kidney, or whatever you have on hand), rinsed and sorted
1 onion, chopped
olive oil
2 carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1/2 cabbage, shredded
1 bay leaf
1/4-1/2 cup marinara (we had a bit of Rao's leftover)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (I use Penzey's Tuscan Sunset)
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Soak beans overnight in salted water.  In the morning, drain.

Saute onion, carrots, celery, and cabbage in olive oil until tender.  Add 8 cups of water, soaked beans, and bay leaf to sauteed vegetables.  Simmer until beans are soft (about 2 hours).  Add marinara and Italian seasoning.  Simmer for 30 minutes.  Add cheese and lemon juice before serving.

Mommy Hungry via Savory Fare (website on package isn't working; their version uses 28 oz of tomatoes and small pasta plus a variety of seasonings)

No comments:

Post a Comment