Cauliflower is quickly becoming our go-to food. For all of us. Really.
Sis loves it any way except raw and Bud will eat it, though perhaps not as fervently. We eat it roasted with salt and olive oil (about 30 minutes at 425F) as well as boiled with pasta, served with spaghetti sauce (Bud) or seasoned salt (Sis). I looked back over my blog and they've liked it since they were two.
I like those, but my favorite way to eat cauliflower is in Indian food, like adding it to my No-Hurry Vegetable Curry and now in Indian Cauliflower and Kidney Bean Stew with Coconut Milk. I think it would be good with chickpeas instead of kidney beans and with additional cooked greens, over rice or couscous.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Indian Cauliflower and Kidney Bean Stew with Coconut Milk
1 large yellow onion, cut into pieces
2 garlic cloves, sliced
1 teaspoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
1 jalapeno chile, seeded (optional; and I skipped it)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon ground fennel seeds (no way!)
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced
1/2 head cauliflower, cut into florets
1 1/2 cups dark red kidney beans, cooked, drained, and rinsed
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
2 cups stock
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
In a food processor, puree onion, garlic, ginger and jalapeno, if using. Place oil in a 4-6 quart slow cooker on HIGH. Add the onion mix and the spices. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Add all of the remaining ingredients, EXCEPT the coconut milk. Cook on LOW for 6 hours. When the vegetables are tender, add the coconut milk and cook, uncovered, 10-15 minutes.
Robin Robertson, Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker
I too love cauliflower and roasted is my favorite way to eat it!
ReplyDelete