So as I've mentioned, I was supposed to graduate from physical therapy recently. For 6 months, I've stretched and strengthened and things have improved. And I've learned much about myself along the way.
And then I pulled my back out. Twice. Once picking up DS after shoveling some snow (I like shoveling snow). And then about a week later, turning around in the car to do something. And now I'm back to limping again. I can't really pick up the kids. And my PT has advised me not to do any extraneous walking.
See, as I've mentioned, my pelvis is uneven. So uneven, that apparently my left leg is longer than my right. Which means there is all this stress on the muscles on my left side. And I'm having trouble healing from the back pulls, which were probably helped along by the constant strain on my muscles despite all the exercises. Now, my PT knew that I was unbalanced but I think she hadn't taken into account all the effects. So now I have a lift in my right shoe, to make the legs match, as we consider if and what kind of orthotics to buy.
It makes sense, though. I threw out my back in May after taking up walking a mile in the morning for new exercise--I probably put everything under too much strain, thinking I was making myself healthier. And even this week, when things were tight and uncomfortable, I tried to walk it off and only ended up making it worse (this happened at Target last Friday and then again on the way to Chinese class yesterday).
And so, for now, I'm not supposed to do any recreational walking.
And DP is at the grocery store . . . but at least we're on the right track.
No comments:
Post a Comment