So, I went to the doctor at the local clinic yesterday because my back just wouldn't stop spasming. Got some muscle relaxers and pain killers and am much better today. It was nice to have a second opinion, especially since my first doctor barely gave one. Orthotics--yes. Orthopedist--no. Keep doing my exercises, everyday for the rest of my life, to decrease likelihood of injury, damage by any injury that I will (and it's just a matter of time not possibility), and hurry along any recover. She thinks the PT I've been doing for 6 months saved my skin this time or I'd be flat on my back. She did suggest a hip x-ray for a baseline, thinking it is possible that I have some childhood disorder--hip dysplasia or the like--which might cause arthiritis later on (for those just joining me, I've limped all my life but only just found out why). And she thinks my new lift in my shoe, which I got Wednesday, while totally necessary is what is making me especially fragile, as my body learns a new way to walk after 35 some odd years.
And here's a neat trick: if you have back trouble and need to sneeze (or cough, though I haven't tried that yet), tilt your head back and try to brace yourself, arching your back a little if you can. Your back won't spasm. And you won't believe this but it totally works. I've sneezed 3 times with no trouble (though sneezing caused lots of trouble last weekend).
No comments:
Post a Comment