Thursday, October 22, 2009

A "Fresh" Sound

My kids have a favorite new tv show: "The Fresh Beat Band." Four college-something musicians going to music school and singing their way through preschool-aged challenges--it's an odd combination of High School Musical and Noggin. A preschool Fame, if you will, with cheesier dance numbers and pop songs with lyrics about bananas (and no, this is not like Gwen Stefani).

But they like it. I even like it. In the way I used to watch "Saved by the Bell." As an adult. Completely without irony and with this odd pleasure at the silliness of it all. It's not "good for us," it's not even particularly good. But we all like it (well, except Mama, whose musical tastes are more sophisticated than mine--she never really embraced pop. I'm a child of the 80s. And I'm pretty sure she's never seen "Saved by the Bell."). I hadn't meant to start a new show. But the other morning, Bud woke up and his bandage had come off in the night. We needed to distract him to re-wrap it. And I found the show on demand. And he loved it. And Sis, who is an "Imagination Mover" devotee, liked it. They like the songs; they even like the dancing.

And so I did some research, knowing nothing about the show. It used to be called the "Jumparounds" but there were copyright issues so it was renamed. I can't tell if the actors do their own singing, though it really doesn't matter much. Several posters on parent forums hate the show, hate the music, hate the kids, with a venom usually reserved for Barney. Okay, Barney isn't my favorite either but it's not poison. And once in awhile, even Barney is okay. Moderation, people. Though, we're on a steady diet of FBB these days, watching the 4 episodes we have recorded over and over again during their 1-1 1/2 hour rest time. I miss the music of "Imagination Movers"--those songs are more complex--and of Laurie Berkner, whose music is more singable (but she doesn't really have her own show and the kids don't like "Jack's Big Music Show," because of the puppets, I think. They don't like "Sesame Street" either.). So far, there are no MP3s of FBB, which is fine with me for now. But, when their album does come out, I'm sure we'll get it. And they'll listen to it in the car and while they play "band" in the living room together (he's the drummer-in-blue "Marina" and she's the DJ "Twist."). And I won't even mind "hip, hop, and pop"-ing around the living room to it. In fact, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it.

1 comment:

  1. A day or two ago I heard of an incident on a Royal Navy ship. Some where in the Persian Gulf it had come across an abandoned vessel and the Captain ordered that it be sunk, simple enough, it was a haxard to shipping and a couple of rounds from a small naval gun would do the job. The gunner was ordered to proceed but REFUSED. When questioned she said 'There might be someone on board'. You cannot run a disciplined force without compliance, neither a home. All children need to learn that the boss has to be obeyed, after all that is what they will find as they reach 20-25. You are not wrong to yell if that is the only way to get the perishers to do what you want, but let them apologise first otherwise you have put yourself in the wrong. They are still at an age when from time to time you MUST HAVE instant obedience, when they are about to be hit by a runaway car for instance, or some dope on rollerblades. Meanwhile we have picked the last of our apples, getting near the end of the grapes and raspberries and now clearing up the garden for winter.

    See you.

    ReplyDelete