Saturday, December 15, 2007

Fancy Dress Party

I thought we were going to be off to a rocky start. Last night, DD awoke several times with nightmares. She's been scared of the "thunder monster" whom she says will grab her tummy. I'd be scared too. And it took awhile to calm her. Would she be calmed by someone else? When I told the kids that our babysitter, let's call her DB for "dear babysitter," was coming for dinner and a sleepover, DD astutely asked me if I were staying. I eventually confessed and told her I was going to a meeting (DP goes to work, I go to meetings, like church and weight watchers). And luckily she was fine with that, even after DB showed up and they all ate tacos together.

It's been awhile since we've been to a real company holiday party. DP's last company didn't invite spouses--can you imagine? So cheap. But the current company does. And how.

We were festively dressed in matching dark bottoms and maroon tops, which wasn't the plan but I changed at the last minute and made us match. Lesbian couples do that, you know. Not sure if two women are together? See if they're shoes are the same (and practical). Trust me. That and the short fingernails--if there aren't any obvious rainbows or labryses or women's symbols around--are a dead giveaway.

There were not any other identifiable lesbians at the party. There were lots of women smaller than one of my thighs wearing clothes that left little to the imagination and shoes that could only be called murderous (or f--k me shoes, whichever you prefer). Which is why there were complimentary slip-ons in the bathroom--so the women could keep on dancing (I wonder what they were giving out in the men's room?). I tried a pair on but can't walk in flip flops so left them behind for my sensible shoes. I was the only woman in a Santa hat, but there were some men. Which was nice to see. I like a little festivity and playfulness.

It was a very pampering kind of party. At the entrance, we were met with mugs of eggnog. Upstairs, a full open bar and passed hors d'oeuvres awaited us. Those had an odd Southern flair--grilled sausage, chili in cornbread muffins, barbecue beef on toast. Not big drinkers, we got our picture taken instead amidst large snowflakes (it was very prom-like) and received it back at the end of the party in its own frame. Inside the main room was a full band with Robert Palmer-style backup dancers. Plus two martini bars with ice sculpture bears through which buff ski-type bartenders poured the drinks through a chute. It made it look like one of the bears was peeing your drink. But the chocolate-Bailey's martini it delivered was good (if too strong for me). We enjoyed the cheese and fruit selection--mmmm, Winsleydale with cranberries!--oh, and the main entrees: coq au vin on herbed orzo, beef with stilton mashed potatoes, sea bass with sweet potato puree, and butternut squash ravioli. YUM. Plus amazing little petit fours, cookies, chocolate dipped strawberries, cannoli, cheesecakes, and the like. And some great fragrant bagged tea that tasted like loose leaf.

We finished the evening by filling goody bags full of cookies for us and the babysitter while waiting for them to deliver our car. All in all, a wonderful evening. I like this new company.

And the kids stayed asleep the whole time.

No comments:

Post a Comment