Tuesday, December 18, 2007

A Convenient Truth

With wheat on our list of can-eat foods, a whole new world has opened up to us. In addition to all the dishes with wheat in my old repertoire--a variety of pastas, chicken and dumplings, breaded cutlets and chicken fried steak, any casseroles I can figure out how to take the cheese out of--there is a whole new world of convenience foods. I'm not even sure I knew what I could buy. When we were egg, soy, wheat, and dairy-free, I couldn't buy much in the way of boxed or frozen foods so didn't bother looking. But I was rushing through the natural section of my usual big supermarket earlier this week, and it was like seeing the world with fresh eyes. In just under five minutes, I had chicken nuggets (mind you, natural and organic), frozen cheeseless roasted veggie pizza, and mac-n-chreese (a vegan pasta). Okay, so it's not your average convenience food, being as healthy and expensive as possible, but it has been convenient. My word, we've had easy hot lunches and quick dinners the last few meals and everyone is happy. It's something new and different and they like choosing which box we're going to eat from!! Sure, I won't do it every meal but it's wonderful backup.

I can't wait to spend more than five minutes searching the aisles!

No comments:

Post a Comment