Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Of Shells and Sea Glass

My Texas readers will shudder to know that, on a morning that saw the mercury bottom out around 26F, I went to the beach with a friend.  Sure, we had coats, but it wasn't windy so we didn't need hats or gloves, which is just as well, because we communicate in ASL and I feel more clumsy in gloves.


We first had a nice breakfast at a local diner with a great view and then walked around the area talking about the devastation caused in the area by Hurricane Sandy, life on the coast, the cost of beach houses, health, kids, families, Thanksgiving, who she knew in which houses, various businesses nearby, the usual stuff.  She has lived here much longer than I have and so knows more of the local spots.

We ended up strolling on the beach and I told her how we'd found sea glass on Block Island and she started to pick up pieces.  Without really trying, she found 20+ pieces, including some pretty aquamarine.  I found the blue on my own, which was exciting, and one of the aquamarine (which look like white in the photo.)  The whites, greens, and browns were everywhere.  She says she has a huge jar of them, including purple and red, which are rare.  I have only recently become aware of sea glass but am quite enthusiastic . . . even if, in reality, it is garbage that has washed ashore, proof of our damage to the planet.  In fact, I thought that was why they are sometimes called "mermaid's tears," but my friend sent me a link that said that the story went that mermaid's cried a tear for every sailor lost at sea.

We walked for an hour or more, talking about various marine life she had seen, marveling at whelks, crabs, coral, and teensy shells that Sis loved when I brought them home.  We vowed to do it again soon, on this beach and others, plus other spots around town.  We might even seek out the Snowy Owl together.

But, by the time it gets here from the Arctic, though, I don't think we'll enjoy walking the beach looking for sea glass as much.




No comments:

Post a Comment