Thursday, October 8, 2015

Fall Fun: What We're Reading

Fall is such a wonderful time for many things:  baking, pots of tea, crochet, watching movies, walking outside, and reading.  And my pile of books just keeps growing.  To give you an idea of my current interests, I've got on my proverbial nightstand:

  • Wake Up! I'm Fat by Camryn Manheim, whom we just saw in Spring Awakening (the kids were very concerned by the title, thinking it was rude.)
  • Matilda by Roald Dahl, since we're going to the Broadway musical soon
  • Tea Fit for a Queen by Lucy Worsley, a Royal Palaces historian
  • How to Live Well with Chronic Pain and Illness by Toni Bernhard, one of my favorite authors on Buddhism and mindfulness
  • Perfect Pies by Michele Stuart, a local award-winning baker whose Australian pie is one of our favorites
  • Exploring Midsomer:  The Towns and and Villages at the Murderous Heart of England by Chris Behan, showing actual locations used for one of my favorite shows, "Midsomer Murders"
  • The Fairy Tale Girl by Susan Branch, whose watercolors I enjoy
  • Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, third in the Outlander series (this one is actually on my Kindle, as is the one below)
  • The Symbolism and Sources of Outlander by Valerie Estelle Frankel
The kids are blowing through several series.  Sis just finished re-reading various Percy Jackson books and hopes to start Egyptian books by Rick Riordan, starting with The Red Pyramid, soon; a new series based on Norse mythology just started.  Sis and I will be reading A Wrinkle in Time soon for her book club.  Bud is working his way through the Redwall books, trying to read them chronologically as they happen (not as they were written); I think he is on The Legend of Luke.  I sign their reading logs every night and they read so much that it's never the same book more than a day or two in a row!  I think they also have more than one book going at a time--the library books they get at school, the series books they carry back and forth, and the books on their Kindles, which we don't let them take to school.  So who knows what else they're reading these days.

Mama listens to Audible books.  She's been listening to the Maisie Dobbs books; before that, she was listening to Phryne Fisher books--yes, she's on a female sleuths in the early 20th-century kick.  (I've been reading those, too, but not at this moment.)

What are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment