Saturday, July 4, 2009

(Not Quite) Live Blogging the 4th of July, Part 2

10:34 a.m. I head downstairs and make Ramen Salad for lunch, from a recipe given to me by a family friend, who passed away from brain cancer earlier this year. Accidentally use red wine vinegar instead of rice wine vinegar. Doesn't seem to matter much. Mama is reading with the kids.

10:56 a.m. Prepare potatoes for Oven-Fried Potatoes. I think I'll sprinkle Penzey's seasoned salt on half and sweet curry powder on the other half!

11:15 a.m. We all sample some strawberry pie--Bud eats the filling, Sis has the crust, Mama and I have "normal" pieces with sour cream.

11:29 a.m. We start getting ready to head outside for the morning. The cats are in their room (still upstairs in the "office", with food and water. The kids are getting dressed. I'm typing here.

Recipes later--gotta get outside!

-=-=-=-=-

Ramen Salad

2 packages ramen noodles, crumbled

1 large package broccoli slaw

1 bunch green onions, chopped

1 cup sunflower kernels

1 cup toasted sliced almonds

½ cup oil

½ cup sugar

½ cup rice wine vinegar

seasoning packets

Combine noodles, slaw, green onions, seeds, and nuts. Mix oil, sugar, vinegar, and seasoning packet together. Pour over salad and toss. Note: this makes a ton; you can cut the recipe in half.

Mr. G


-=-=-=-=-

Oven-Fried Potatoes

2-3 potatoes (baking or yukon)

oil

seasonings


Slice into strips washed, but not peeled, potatoes.

Place potato strips in ice water in refrigerator for 10-15 minutes.

Drain water.

Toss 1 tablespoon of oil in potatoes, totally covering.

Place potatoes on greased (Pam-sprayed) cookie sheet.

Bake at 450°F for 15 minutes or until brown.

Sprinkle with seasoned salt (though, sweet curry powder is really good, too).

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment