Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A Tight Spot

Sis has new tights and long knee-highs, all in pink, to counterbalance the bland dress code of blues and browns at her school.

And Bud is green (and blue and purple and yellow) with envy because he just has regular, dull, short socks. He wants fancy socks. And he wants them long so he can still wear his shorts to school in the cool weather (which is what Sis can do now, wear her shorts and skirts).

But you know, I couldn't find boys' argyle socks at the store, even muted boring ones that he'd barely approve. Nor even plain solid-color knee-highs, like British public school boys always seem to be wearing in pictures. I gave in and bought navy girls' knee-highs and hope they'll work. Because I just can't put him in pink argyle tights. Internalized homophobia? Rigid gender-identity stereotypes? Fear for his happiness and safety? Maybe I should've gotten him a fun pair for home.

I'm hoping for snow and freezing temperatures, so they'll just both be happy in pants.

No comments:

Post a Comment