Tuesday, October 19, 2010

9 1/2 Weeks

(Actually, it's 10 tomorrow, but that's not as good a title!)

I'm realizing how much of a mind-game pain can be. I hurt less if I know why or if I'm expecting it (like that time of month, which is actually twice because ovulation sucks, too). Or if I'm totally concentrating on it. Or if I'm not. (Hey, maybe that's one more thing I have in common with elite athletes! See here on disassociation vs association in championship marathon runners and cyclists.)

And recently, that last one has become more and more the norm as my lower back just hasn't been bothering me as much.

Is it the fish oil? the 45-minutes of walking? the slow-release magnesium on those PMS days? the knowledge of what's going on?

Or just the fact that Mama has walked through the door?

Yes, that last one is absolutely true. My back is tighter at the end of the day, even on good days, but seems to release once she gets home. It might be because she steps in and does so much and I can relax a bit, but it might also be that love relieves pain.


No comments:

Post a Comment