Thursday, July 14, 2016

In Memoriam

My first public Zentangle art class is tonight; the anticipation has been building all week, as I plan tiles and tangles, prep supplies, and pack the student kits.  I chose the date, partially for convenience and partially in memoriam--it's Aunt Sis's birthday.  She loved art and encouraged my love of art, starting with Botticelli and then moving on to the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood.  (I never could quite love Gauguin or Picasso as much as she did, though.)  I'm not exactly sure she would have embraced the Zentangle method of combining patterns--probably too many rules (dots, borders, strings), too much like a cult (that side of the family is not into joining anything), but she would have appreciated the mindfulness, though I doubt she'd have called it that.

Anyway, class is tonight and I'm very excited.  I spent yesterday working on a big Opus (10.5 x 10.5") tile made completely with basic tangles students learn in the beginning; the Zentangle names of the tangles are written along the edges.  I'll use it as a demo tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment