I had decided to put my peace-hope-love doodles on the tripartite flag and so set to work with my permanent Identi-pen for fabric this morning at the kitchen table.
I dropped the boxes and changed the heart a bit. I think they came out nicely.
And then I realized that there were marks--dots and streaks and such--all over the table. I hadn't thought about my pen bleeding through the thin fabric.
I called the kids in as a teachable moment. Because, of course, sometimes I go on a tirade when they make a mess, honest but forseeable messes not intentionally made, but I get upset that they don't think ahead or be extra careful. And here I'd done the exact same thing myself. So I told them that the next time I started getting upset about their making a similar mistake that all they needed to mention were the tabletop dots and I would not yell.
The dots only sort of came up with a scrubbing from the steel wool (which then also sort of took the finish off the table. I guess we'll know which is my spot.)
Still, the flags are lovely.
And I'm extra-prepared for when the whole family works on the blue, yellow, red, green, and white flags I bought for us to decorate and hang around! (I think a piece of cardboard underneath would do the trick nicely.)


No comments:
Post a Comment