Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Advent Activities: Getting Ready

For the past two years (here and here), we've counted down to Christmas with a variety of holiday, or Advent, activities.  At first, I'd put the activities in a jar and we'd pull out the project for the day.  Last year, I happened upon the holidays-socks-on-the-mantle idea to help us count down.  The kids are looking forward to it this year and have been ready to start since we put up the tree--and the Advent Activity socks--on Sunday.  Yep, we started Christmas really early this year, with interior and exterior decorations all in place.  Which is great except it used up some of our usual December Advent Activities!  The list is very similar to last year's list, which is the nature of Christmas, I suppose--tradition.  And it will change as time progresses, based on available time, energy, and  variables like weather.  Which is why I only put one activity in a sock at a time.  That, and the kids peek!

  1. Make gingerbread houses
  2. Bake sugar cookies
  3. Go caroling on the phone
  4. Make teacher gifts
  5. Deliver treats to doctor/vet/etc
  6. Deliver Secret ELF gifts
  7. Make thank-you cards
  8. Mommy's birthday party
  9. Look at holiday lights
  10. Send Christmas cards
  11. Gifts for others (via church)
  12. Donate savings jar to an organization
  13. Make glug for Santa Lucia day
  14. Leave out shoes for Saint Nicholas day
  15. Watch holiday movies 
  16. Holiday read-a-thon
  17. Write letters to Santa
  18. Go see the Nutcracker
  19. Make latkes 
  20. Stay-up-late Solstice party
  21. Wrap presents
  22. Snow ice cream
  23. Play Christmas bingo
  24. Make Christmas candy
"Understudy" activities:   make origami ornaments; have dinner by candlelight; donate food to food pantry; make birdfeeders with pinecones; NYC visit; 

1 comment:

  1. Good for you for getting it all up and ready. I did so much to get mine started and then just stopped! I will get it done though by December first. I HOPE!

    ReplyDelete