My daughter has a new favorite book, No, David! by David Shannon. It's about a little boy who hears "no" and its variants all day long. Until his mother says, "Yes, I love you," at the end. (By the way, does anyone else think he looks like a satanic Charlie Brown?)
Now, when I taught Sunday School, I learned of a discussion about people who really don't like this book. They don't like all the negative language (though they found that their kids really identify with it). These are the same people who don't like The Giving Tree because they think it is all about selfishness and enabling, not love and generosity. Anyway, there is also a faction who love the book because a). their kids do and b). they think it reflects some realities of parenting and c). the kid does hear I love you at the end.
I hadn't read the book when we found it at a used book store when we were cashing in points before the kiddos arrived. But I knew the controversy and bought it anyway. And I've got to say, I like it. First, it's fun to read--you can get very dramatic with the reading. I even wag my finger. DD does it right along with me. Secondly, I don't use "no" much so I don't take it personally--I'm into positive language and rephrase "no" accordingly (like, for safety). Thirdly, they like it (though DS looked a little stricken tonight as I was reading, until I stopped and he asked me to do it again). In fact, I can hear DD on the monitor now reciting the story back to herself.
DP first suggested that DD liked this book because she was getting ideas of things to do--climb up chairs to find the cookie jar, run around outside naked, play ball in the house--all things David gets in trouble for. Tonight, I figured out what she likes--she likes being bossy. She's the mommy telling David "no," right down to the hand gestures. That's why she always wants to see the mommy in the front with her hands on her hips. We do always joke that DS has three mommies!!
And tonight, the funniest thing happened. After I read each page, I heard DD translate the "no" language into what I would say--instead of "don't play with your food" it was "food is for eating" and not "be quiet" but "use your inside voice."
I guess that means the positive language is getting through.
Or not.
No comments:
Post a Comment