Monday, August 27, 2007
_An_ Apple a Day
Is it wrong to tell a child to stay away from apples? The one way I can tell that DS has grown taller is that his reach has improved. The fruit basket on the side table used to be safe. Not anymore. Earlier this week, I found a trail of red, limp skins leading from the kitchen to the couch--by the way, there is a strict eat-only-in-the-kitchen rule here--and two pluots with chunks missing. His sister kindly handed me another piece of wet skin. And I knew then that the fruit basket was no longer safe. And so now, he likes to reach in and grab for apples. He loves apples. And green grapes. And blueberries. Blueberries are big right now, especially because there is a Dora the Explorer episode with blueberries and a bear. And an icy cold lake. Ayudame. Sometimes, however, he doesn't get an apple. He's gotten a lime. And today he got a huge bite of underripe nectarine. It hasn't put him off his attempts though, so I found myself refusing him fruit. No, DS, no apples. You just ate three, and bit two more. In the last twenty minutes. Did I mention my kids can eat? Playgroup moms wonder at my food bill (which I will only say has doubled, makes sense, with twins, right? Especially because it's mostly organic and specialty stuff). They wonder where the food goes, as my children are some of the smaller ones for their age (you should see the diapers. Ayudame.) So, um, why haven't I moved the fruit basket? Mainly because it has a banana attachment hanging from the top and doesn't fit under the cabinets. There's not any counter space anyway. Until I figure out what to do with the fruit basket, I'm in the ironic? enviable? position of denying my child apples. Ayudame.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment