Monday, February 13, 2017

Ready for Her Close Up

I don't even know where to begin about our MARVELOUS weekend.

See, we saw Glenn Close in Sunset Boulevard!!!  And she was amazing.  Really, I don't think I know enough positive adjectives to describe her performance.   The crowd cheered when she first appeared on the stage.  We went wild after "With One Look," stopping the show with clapping.  There were cheers and claps after her signature lines--"I am big.  It's the pictures that got small."  "I'm ready for my close up."  And we stopped the show with a standing ovation after "As If We Never Said Goodbye."  And I think there were 4 or 5 curtain calls!



I loved it.  I had seen her in it 22 years ago and I thought it was marvelous, too.  But this one is even better.  Sure the giant staircase and elaborate sets are gone; the lovely costumes are exactly the same. But her performance, I thought, was more human, intimate, vulnerable, and fragile, a little more wild and unhinged, less controlled and haughty, and honestly I think her singing was better.  It works that Glenn Close is not a Broadway belter because of course her character was a silent film star who didn't make it in the talkies.  But she has a lovely, expressive voice.  And such presence.  Like the line she says about her people in the dark wanting her in every scene-- I wanted her in every scene!

Mama loved it, too.  She hadn't seen it 22 years ago with me, though I stayed with her in NYC when I came back to see it.  I'd purchased the ticket long before we met.  So, in many ways, seeing Sunset Boulevard together was a kind of touchstone for us.

The kids enjoyed it, too.  Though, they both thought there was too much kissing!

Glenn Close talking to Sis and Bud,
hidden behind the phone and programs
It got even better that they met Glenn Close afterwards!!!  Yep, we stage-doored afterwards and, being small, they squeezed up in front.  And both got her signature, as did Mama.  They said they thought she was great and admitted that they mainly knew her as Nova Prime in Guardians of the Galaxy, not as Cruella DeVille in 101 Dalmatians.  She was kind and friendly.  The kids also talked with a few of the chorus and the actors playing Joe (the writer-turned-gigolo) and Max (the butler-who-was-her-first-husband.)  It made the whole evening that much better.





We opted to stay in the city, thinking it would be easier to drive home in daylight after some sleep.  So we had a midnight supper from Junior's.  But the forecast changed and Mama drove us home safely through ice and snow on the unplowed highway.  We talked about the show the whole time.

Honestly, I rank it right up there with seeing the original cast of Hamilton as the ultimate Broadway experience.  If you can, go.

No comments:

Post a Comment