Monday, December 1, 2014

Black Friday Bread

I saw this recipe on FB sometime over the weekend, from the King Arthur Flour people.  With lefteover mashed and sweet potatoes and stuffing AND no plans to go out much less shop over the weekend, I knew I could make this bread.    However, the instructions say not to use a dressing cooked inside a bird or even moistened with meat stock, so my chicken-broth-based cornbread stuffing was out.  So I made a sweet-mashed combo.  With all purpose instead of bread flour, cutting the milk as they suggested.  And I put it in my bread machine instead of making it by hand.

All of which is to say, it didn't come out quite as it should, due to my adaptations, but it shows real promise.  The flavor was good and there was definitely enough moisture, but it was kinda heavy and didn't cook all the way through on the regular cycle (I forgot to run the whole wheat cycle, which would've been better.) Next time, I'll probably run it on the dough cycle and then bake it off on my own, maybe even in my cast iron skillet, making a flatter loaf.  But there is a slight sweetness and a great color.  And it toasts up nicely.

I wonder if using maple syrup for the sweetener would've gone well with the sweet potatoes?  Who knows, I have more leftovers.  I just might try again.


Black Friday Bread
1 cup (4 ounces) King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour
2 1/2 cups (10 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour
2 tablespoons soft butter
1 to 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, to taste
1 tablespoon sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
2/3 cup lukewarm milk
1 cup prepared stuffing*
1 cup mashed potatoes, white or sweet
*For safety’s sake, use stuffing that neither baked in the turkey, nor used meat broth as its moistener.
Can you substitute unbleached all-purpose flour for the bread flour, and/or the whole wheat flour? Sure; reduce the amount of milk to 1/2 cup, adding additional milk or water if the dough seems dry and stiff. Your loaf may not rise as high.
As mentioned above, feel free to substitute the mashed ingredients of your choice for the stuffing and potatoes. Mashed root vegetables (turnip, sweet potatoes, squash, parsnips) are good; as is applesauce.
Oh, and one more thing: taste the bread dough once it’s mixed, but before kneading; you may need to adjust the salt, depending on whether or not the add-ins you chose were salty.
See all instructions at KAF

No comments:

Post a Comment