Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving Live: I'm the Queen of Gravy!

Sure, I made the mashed potatoes, the roasted carrots and Brussel sprouts, the green bean casserole, and sweet potato casseroles today, but I am most proud of my gravy this year (picture forthcoming). And I was scared because the rendered fat and drippings from our very fresh big turkey were so dark that I couldn't tell if the flour had cooked in my roux--it started at the copper/peanut butter color it was supposed to end with! I waited a little bit longer and added the stock and drippings. It was this perfect dark color, but I was afraid it was too fatty--the drippings were so dense--because of the fresh farm turkey??--that the fat hadn't separated! So I skimmed it several times with paper towels, the color changed, and most of the fat was gone. Once it all boiled, it was perfectly thick, a consistency I don't always achieve.

And it's the best gravy I've ever made. Thick, flavorful (perhaps a bit too much like the fresh farm turkey!), and there are at least 8 cups of it! We even took pictures because I'm so proud. I mean, this gravy has been a good 12 years in the making!

More later because we are, as they say in restaurants, "in the weeds" and my sous chefs don't like my blogging right now!

-=-=-=-
For my notes: I used 1/2 cup of oil, 1/2 cup of flour, and 8+ cups of stock and drippings!

1 comment:

  1. WELL DONE!!!I KNEW YOU COULD DO IT. "First, you make a roux..." Our thanks to Grandmother Johnson.

    ReplyDelete