Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Snack Cake

"Mom, let's make an everyday cake. Not a birthday cake. A regular everyday cake," Sis implored.

"You mean a snack cake?"

"Yes, chocolate snack cake."

Visions of boxed mix from my childhood danced in my head--you know the kind, the one that came with this little cardboard baking pan that you prepared the mix in and then baked. I can't even remember what it tasted like, just that we liked the idea of an easy snack (not that I think we ever baked these after school, probably more of a weekend/sleepover kinda thing).

So there I am, googling "chocolate snack cake" and finding numerous different options (did I check the zillion cookbooks I have? No, of course not). I chose the "mix-in-the-pan" one, since it reminded me of the ones we used to make. And they loved that part! They noticed right away that we weren't using a mixer. And then they realized we didn't add eggs. As always, sniffing the vanilla and licking the spoon were their favorite parts. This time, they also really liked carefully stirring the mix in the pan. Well, that and then playing with the leftover baking soda and vinegar to make bubble explosions in the sink while the cake baked.

And for once, they actually ate the cake that we made!

-=-=-=-=-



Mix-In-The-Pan Chocolate Snack Cake


1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour

1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed

1/4 cup unsweetened baking cocoa1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup water

1/3 cup vegetable oil

1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 tablespoons powdered sugar


In an ungreased 8-inch square pan mix together flour, brown sugar, unsweetened baking cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Stir in water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla.


Bake at 350*F for 35 to 40 minutes or until the center is set. Dust with powdered sugar.
Makes 8 servings.



Cooksrecipes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment