Tuesday, January 20, 2009

"I'm Too Excited to Eat Cookies"

Sis, Bud, and I just finished watching the Inauguration, sitting on my bed, eating cookies. Though, Sis said, "I'm too excited to eat cookies" and put hers back in the bag. Bud ate his (and some of hers), admiring Aretha Franklin and John Williams's "Air and Simple Gifts" with Yo-Yo Ma and Itzhak Pearlman. I cried the whole time, which surprised the kids and discomfited them somewhat, even though I explained that they were happy tears.

"Why, Mommy?"

Because this inauguration means you can do anything, be anything. Even though you are bi-racial. Even though you have two mommies.

Because, even though we still have severe problems, we now have hope again, we now have faith again, and pride and trust, all the things we had lost over the last eight years.

Because this is the possibility, the promise, of the world that I wanted for you when you were born. I was pregnant at the start of Bush's second term and I remember telling Mama, discouraged, that I couldn't imagine what we were thinking bringing children into that world. She reassured me that children were proof of our hope, our contribution to the creation of the world we want.

Here it is, Bud and Sis: a new start for the world we want, a world that won't reject you because of your face or your parents, a world where anything can happen, a world where we take better care of each other and our planet, a world just like the one described in your favorite book, Can You Say Peace?, a world just like the one described by President Obama (though, I don't think you were listening by then). And we're all going to build it together. That's why we left school early; that's why we rushed home; that's why we ate cookies on my bed; that's why we weren't watching your favorite shows. I didn't want you to miss the beginning.

So let's eat those cookies and celebrate!

1 comment:

  1. How beautifully written. I know exactly how you feel. It was such an amazing day.

    ReplyDelete