So, there has been lots of talk around here about getting "back to normal." Though, as my neighbor says, it's never the old, familiar normal but a "new normal" when kids are involved. That's definitely true. Today is our first day in almost two weeks where we don't have guests or Mama home, no holiday preparations or celebrations, or anything more than our usual at-home weekday routine.
And, so far, so good. I think they were ready for it. True, Mama's departure this morning occasioned great tears and sadness from Sis, but she was soon playing and okay, no different than most Monday mornings. They're upstairs playing now and, while I suspect that they might be stripping my bed and relocating all the pillows, I'm letting them revel in this together play, this teamwork. With illness and new toys, there's been lots of squabbling recently, so this is good.
As for food, after holiday gorging, they seem to be craving fruits and vegetables. Yesterday, it was carrots, broccoli, and grapes (Bud even had a bowl of the broccoli noodle soup I'd made for us--they never try what I'm eating! And he added his ham to it.). This morning, apples and clementines and bananas. I'm not sure they'd had a real fruit or vegetable in days, sad to say. But I'm relieved that they actually want them. Sure, there were tears from Sis about wanting gingersnaps for breakfast, mainly because she was upset that Mama was leaving (and while I hope food-as-comfort isn't a habit, she went back to grapes and cereal soon enough)--I said we were better, not perfect. Regardless, I'm really happy that old habits stick, even after a prolonged hiatus. Whew!
-=-=-=-=-
Broccoli Noodle Soup
Mmmm, one of my favorite soups, though it is never as thick as I think it will be. And it is very messy to eat!
3/4 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoon margarine or oil
6 cups chicken broth (canned or bouillon)
dash salt, pepper
8 oz. very fine noodles
2 packages frozen broccoli (better w/ 1 bunch fresh)
6 cups milk
1 lb. Velveeta light cheese cubed
Saute onion in margarine, add chicken broth and bring to boil. Add broccoli and cook til almost tender. Add noodles and salt and cook til tender. Add milk and cheese. Stir til melted. Add pepper if desired (can add some of the milk if need more liquid to finish cooking noodles.)
Substitution note: equal parts Colby cheese (or 3/4 Colby and 1/4 American) tossed in a little flour for Velveeta
No comments:
Post a Comment