Last Thursday, she had horseback riding as usual, on her beloved pony Murphy ("her" is relative; we partially lease him.) She was out in the back paddock cantering (faster than a trot) and Murphy spied a wild turkey in the woods. I guess Murphy doesn't like turkeys because he spooked and jumped sideways, but Sis continued her forward trajectory right over his neck. She landed on her right side on the ground. She says she didn't hit her head but did bend back a finger.
When I showed up after the lesson, knowing none of this, the first thing she said was, "I fell off, but it's not Murphy's fault!"
In fact, she had the presence of mind to immediately grab his reins so he didn't spook again or try to eat grass (horses can choke if they eat with their bridles in place), something that is drilled into them. People came immediately to check on her and she got right back up on him. So brave!
Of course, we don't blame Murphy. These things happen--and she wears an expensive helmet because of it. I teased her, "Did you think I was going to go out and shoot the pony like in Gone with the Wind?" She was horrified and now doesn't want to see one of my favorite movies of all times. (And that's not even a big part of the film, but I digress.)
Anyway, she started having headaches that evening and so we consulted with Goo, my brother-in-law who is now a doctor at a hospital nearby, and he said to watch her; nobody wanted us to go to the ER at night if we didn't have to.
But it did happen the day that it was announced that NFL player Aaron Hernandez had advanced brain damage (CTE) at the time of his suicide. From multiple concussions. So we were pretty vigilant.
But it did happen the day that it was announced that NFL player Aaron Hernandez had advanced brain damage (CTE) at the time of his suicide. From multiple concussions. So we were pretty vigilant.
We let her go to school the next day, but by Friday evening we were at the pediatrician's office because her head hurt when she moved too much. No obvious concussion, but the doctor put her on limited activity for a week--no horses, no skating, no PE in school; we'll go back if it gets worse or doesn't go away (it hasn't completely gone away yet.) By the way, did you know that cocoon treatments for concussions--no activity, dark rooms, not even much mental stimulation (like music or audiobooks)--is on the way out? I didn't either. Apparently it doesn't actually help children. The doctor was even more concerned about the aching middle finger on her right (not writing) hand and sent us for x-rays on Saturday morning.
Not broken! Just sprained.
WHEW.
I know missing all of her activities is a hardship, but, considering how awful it could have been, well, I'd say we are lucky. And my dad always says that it's better to be lucky than good!
As a horse-loving friend said to her, "Silly Murphy!"
No comments:
Post a Comment