The week we were staying at the hotel the kids enjoyed eating the nightly buffet. Sure, it was all bulk pre-made food from a warehouse store, just the kind of food we don't usually eat at home, but they enjoyed it, especially Sis. There were stroganoff with meatballs and noodles, meatloaf and mashed potatoes, and hamburgers and barbecue chicken. There was also a salad bar--olives, celery, tomatoes, chickpeas, bacon--and Ranch dressing! Bud had a salad every night.
Recently they haven't liked my, or really Gommie's meatloaf, with the chicken and rice soup. So, last night I made one more like the hotel's, with beef gravy instead of ketchup topping. And I used real beef. I've been impressed with the organic/local food at Stop and Shop recently--grass-fed/antibiotic-free beef, Applegate nitrite-free (or at least not added) cold cuts, organic chicken. And so I made a beef meatloaf instead of ground turkey.
With mashed potatoes and local corn.
Almost as good as the hotel's!
-=-=-=-=-=-=
Mommy Hungry's New Meatloaf and Gravy
1 lb ground beef
1/3 cup bread crumbs (I had Pepperidge Farm stuffing)
1/3 cup milk
1 egg
salt, pepper, and seasonings to taste
Preheat oven to 350. Soak the bread crumbs in the milk while prepping the other ingredients. Beat the egg in a large bowl and add the beef. Add milk-bread mixture. Season. Place in meatloaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour.
Gravy
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup flour
4 cups beef stock
drippings from bottom of meatloaf pan
Brown flour in oil until the color of peanut butter (a roux.) Add stock and drippings. Cook until thickened.
Served with meatloaf and mashed potatoes.
Mommy Hungry
Stop and shop has grass fed beef??? I'll have to look for it. Sounds yummy to me and I'd make it if I can find the grass fed, organic beef.
ReplyDelete