Sunday, April 3, 2011

Poetry Jam: Awful Ogres


Jack Prelutsky, the children's Poet Laureate, has been the focus of our nightly poetry jam this weekend, as we read his Awful Ogre, Running Wild. The kids are fascinated by the crazy things the one-eyed ogre does, as well as the lush illustrations of such. In fact, instead of just reading a poem a day, I've read several both before and during dinner. It works perfectly because I usually need to stand and walk a bit during the meal so now I just pick up the book and read a poem. From "Awful Ogre Paints a Picture" to "Awful Ogres Goes on a Picnic" and "Awful Ogre Enters a Cook Off" (I'm guessing at the titles because Bud took the book to bed; no worries, Sis got Awful Ogre's Awful Day at the library today and has it in bed with her). They so enjoy hearing the poems and discussing the wacky things Awful Ogre does that they wanted to write their own ogre poem. About Awful Ogre on a boat. With his friends the bunny and penguin. But, assuring them that few poems are finished in the first draft, we didn't quite complete it at dinner tonight and I'll post it later. After a few more nights of reading Awful Ogre. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment