Friday, April 8, 2011

Mystery Reader

It was the annual spring bookfair today and I ventured out for the first time.   With my meds, my brace, and several breaks on the nurse's couch...all my precautions.   Gommie and I helped Sis and Bud choose Star Wars books, among other things.  I even found a Mrs. Piggly Wiggly book, from my own childhood.  Plus a few books for Cousin Hungry.  And even something for Mama, from my own magic trunk.

The highlight was Gommie being the mystery reader for Sis's class, with hints about her liking hiking and boating, being from far away, and being someone's grandmother.  Of course, Sis guessed, but so did some of her classmates who had seen Gommie before (at kindergarten and preschool).  Bud, who was allowed to join the class for the event, knew but didn't give it away.   Gommie read Awful Ogre, My Garden by Henkes, and Tango Makes Three, about the penguin with the two dads.  It felt subversive to hear the pro-gay family book in kindergarten, but the teacher had requested it.  And it was fine.  In fact, I was very proud of and honored by Gommie, who has embraced and loved us even if we're not like, well, the other penguins.

In fact, the day was great.  That is, until my back popped again this afternoon.  So, I'm back to life in a bed with another appointment next week.  It'll be okay, especially because I know it could be worse.  My regret from last time was becoming isolated, depressed, and being too scared to try to get up. Trying to have no regrets this time.  Or, at least different ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment