When I told our babysitter that DS had written his first letter, she believed I was a delusional proud mommy, as she recounted later. How is it that a 2 1/2 year old wrote the letter "T"? But I swear, he had. It had happened the night before. We were playing on our new wall-sized magnetic chalkboard (DP's weekend project was painting and painting and painting the 12 x 8' wall). DS said he needed the letters of his name and then he wrote a "t" and identified it as such (just so you know, his name doesn't actually start with a "t" though it has one). There it was, one vertical line with a tiny little lid. Definitely a "t," a capital one. Wow. So, I proudly told the babysitter the next day, when explaining the rules of the chalkboard (only chalk, only this wall), that DS had written a letter. And she didn't believe me.
Until he did it again for her, saying he was going to write a "t" and then doing it.
Now, to teach him the other letters in his name.
-=-=-=-=-=
We practice counting when we come across it. And usually we count one more than whatever item we're counting. DS even likes to jump from six to eleven, mainly, we think, because eleven rhymes with seven. And we haven't really stressed their ages to them. They don't understand time--not today, tomorrow, one week, a year. We'll get to these concepts when it's time (hee, hee). So, they don't really know how to wave their fingers in the sign of number "two" at anyone. Which is why I was floored at the library yesterday when DD managed to count not just "2" but one through five with her fingers!
I guess we should work on what it means.
No comments:
Post a Comment