Thursday, January 10, 2008

Back to Food

It's been awhile since I've posted a recipe or talked about food specifically. I've been making familiar dishes and new things recently (everything in the crockpot because morning is just so much easier for prep than late afternoon).

And the kiddos like very little of any of it. If they had their way, DS would eat jelly sandwiches, grape tomatoes, and fruit cocktail all day, while DD would eat banana "coins," rice krispie treats, and cereal. Both adore marshmallows. At least there is fruit in there, right?

Borrowing from a member forum on the Weight Watchers website, I'm posting what's in the crockpot today.

But starting with yesterday, when I made the Lentil and Rice meal from Jyl Steinback's book The Busy Mom's Slow Cooker Cookbook. I don't have it in front of me but will paraphrase until I do--2 cups lentils, 2 cups uncooked brown rice, 9 cups liquid (a combo of water and broth), diced onion/carrot/bell pepper/celery, seasoning. I like the idea but the lentils were undercooked and the rice turned mushy. I think I might have put in 3 cups of lentils instead of 2, not measuring but just eyeballing the bag. Oh, well. Edible. To me. Not to the kids.

I made our old stand-by, pork with onions, the other day. I added some sweet potatoes we had on hand. And as usual, they loved it. DD ate most of the sweet potatoes. DS inhaled the onions.

So today, I'm trying a variation on this dish. It's like New England boiled dinner but with pork instead of corned beef or pot roast: pork chops, cabbage, carrots, onions, potatoes, and a can of diced tomatoes (my addition, they love tomatoes). So, there are potatoes and onions to please the kiddos, and cabbage to try, which I don't think they've had. They love lettuce, though, so they might be receptive.

Let's hope it goes over well because we ate all the marshmallows for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment