It's a few days late, but I went to a wonderful, much-needed moms' night out (MNO) on Friday. The theme was Mexican, a belated Cinco de Mayo. There was wonderful dip--the cream cheese/bean/cheese/salsa mixture that I've only encountered in Connecticut (at every party I've hosted someone has brought it. Now, I thought I knew all of the Tex-Mex appetizers, having grown up in TX, but this cream cheese one is new to me. BTW, if you want a great article on Tex Mex, and how it is "native foreign food" and not real Mexican--duh--check out the recent NYTimes). Then we moved onto dinner, which featured this delicious chili including chipotle chilies in adobo sauce--this gave it this smokiness that I liked. Oddly, I recently came across a recipe featuring said ingredient and had never heard of it before. DP will like it, I'm sure. Our hostess--for hers was the chili (served with rice and FRITOS!)--then served vegetable burritos, made especially tasty by a tomato puree/cream sauce. We finished off the meal with the "Mexican" dessert coffee I brought. While I had to prep and cook some of it there (a big no-no for guests, I know), I think it turned out well. There were also tasty peanut butter-chocolate squares and brownies with ice cream. So, sure, not completely authentic, but delicioso all the same. And the company was good.
-=-=-=
Conn-Mex Party Dip
It is so easy- Spread the medium size tub of cream cheese on the bottom of a pie plate (we like Temptees brand) then spread a layer of either mild salsa OR a can of Hormel chili with beans (which ever suits your fancy) Finally sprinkle the top with Mexican shredded four cheese and bake 350 degrees until bubbly (about 25-30 min.). Serves with tortilla chips.
Mexican Dessert Coffee
1/4 cup ground dark roast coffee (regular or decaf)
2 teaspoons cinnamon
6 cup water
1 cup milk
1/3 cup chocolate syrup (I used Hershey's Dark)
2 tablespoon light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
whipped cream optional
Place coffee and cinnamon in filter basket of coffeemaker. Add water and brew as directed.In saucepan, blend milk, chocolate syrup, and sugar. Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves.Combine milk mixture and brewed coffee; stir in vanilla. Garnish with whipped cream and cinnamon. Serve.
(By the way, my mom friends laughed when they saw "serve" written at the bottom of my notes. Sure. Apparently, Judith Jones thinks "set aside" is the silliest recipe instruction. I think "serve" might be.).
No comments:
Post a Comment