Tuesday, September 4, 2007

I'll be back

After days of posting really regularly, I've been a little overwhelmed here. While the babes are sleeping at night in their big kid beds (well, they go down okay, but they've been waking up 5-10 times a night. Each. Separately.), they are not napping at all. Which makes for a really long day. On good days, after hysterical playing and then exhaustion during "rest time" which leads not to sleep but to injury, I put them into the car and they're asleep before I'm off the block--I've gotten a lot of crocheting and reading done that way. In fact, today, I finished Laurel Thatcher Ulrich's Pulitzer Prize-winning history A Midwife's Tale, about 18th-century midwife (and ancestor of Clara Barton) Martha Ballard. It was a wonderful journey through one woman's remarkable life as well as a social history of New England, about which I know little (my Ph.D. is Victorian England not colonial US). But I'm too tired to try to encapsulate it cleverly here.

For the next few days my mom will be here. So there should be some great recipe posts. Or none at all. The twins do wear a person out, despite her best intentions to cook.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you are back, it gets easier when they are older, such as 25.

    Dudley Lambeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recipe for Spotted Dick

    3 oz Self Rising flour
    3 oz white breadcrumbs
    4 oz shredded suet (this is shredded beef or lamb fat)
    4 oz caster sugar
    2 oz raisins
    2 ox currents
    2 oz sultanas
    1 Table spoon marmalade (optional)
    1 teaspoon mixed spice not pepper
    1 tablespoon treacle
    1 egg beaten
    1/2 imperial pint milk (about 10% larger than US 1/2 pint)

    Mix the whole cabboodle in a big bowl until it is about evenly mixed.

    Encase in a pudding cloth with enough spare cloth to tie the top firmly with clean string

    Drop into warm water, bring to boil and simmer for about 3 hours.

    Serve hot with custard or ice cream; or cold alone.

    Warning this is good stuff, too much will kill you but you will die smiling.

    Dudley Lambeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go on, be a devil, try it a litle piece at a time.

    Dudley

    ReplyDelete