Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Coconut Comfort

We were craving something sweet last night, but it was too late to bake or even contemplate messing up the kitchen that much.  But as I was cleaning up after dinner--and about to toss the dried, days-old cooked rice--I realized we could make cooked rice pudding.  Most of my recipes start with raw rice and plain milk, but I was craving something like the sticky rice Ma makes to go with mangoes, and I found the recipe below.

Sis, Mama, and I took turns stirring the pot and finally we ate our reward:  sweet, creamy, coconutty, warm goodness.  

It's great cold, too--as Sis found out for breakfast.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-


Coconut Rice Pudding
3 cups cooked rice (we had cooked Jasmine rice--I think any kind would work)
6 cups whole milk (I think we had 2% lactose free and it worked just fine)
1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk, well-stirred
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (we didn't even use this)

Combine all ingredients (except vanilla) in heavy duty saucepan and simmer for about 40 minutes until thickened.  Remove from heat and add vanilla.  Eat warm or cold


No comments:

Post a Comment