It's the last week of school! Yep, summer starts tomorrow. We'll be going to a picnic of their elementary school cohort today, the ones they had class with from 4th through 6th grade. It's the third or fourth year of this tradition. I think the parents like it as much as (probably more than) the kids.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Bud and I are learning a piano solo together, Coldplay's "Viva La Vida." I have the melody and Bud is doing all of the rhythm and harmonies. Because I'm not great at counting/keeping time, I rely on Bud to give me clues. And I'm trying to practice a lot. He's a very patient teacher and we're having a lot of fun; we definitely make our piano teacher laugh. I'm also practicing "Amazing Grace." I love the tune and it will be great to know for hospice. I find that when I play the hospice piano, people like to stop and talk. One time, when I was playing "Greensleeves," a woman came in--her mother had just died and it had been her favorite song--the daughter thought it was a sign. I'm glad it brought her comfort.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Sis had a horse show last weekend, riding Arthur. She loves those horses. She is less concerned with how the competition goes, especially now that she is in the intermediate group with more experienced riders. She placed 2nd, 3rd, and 4th in equitation, pleasure, and then jumps. Then she spent an extra 6+ hours hanging out with the horses.
She is taking a summer break from speedskating. After Patience the horse stepped on her, Sis had to wear a boot and then loose shoes; speedskates are too much. She'll resume with the next session.
-=-=-=-=-=-
And Bud is learning a new kung fu form, "Eagle," which is another hand form (meaning no weapons.) He loves the new moves and is practicing his aerial. He's hoping to take parkour classes this summer to learn some more flips and jumps. He loves to move and dance. His favorite music right now is by BTS, the K-Pop (Korean pop) band that is taking the world by storm. It's seven young South Korean men with likeable tunes and amazing dance moves. Bud listens all the time, though half of the lyrics are in Korean. And we're going to their concert in September, though it was a trick to get tickets (fortunately before the prices skyrocketed.)
-=-=-=-=-=-
I've finished all of my CPE papers--6 case studies, 19 weekly reflections, a long midterm evaluation, and an even longer final evaluation. I still have about 40 hours to finish in the next six weeks, but that shouldn't be too hard (knock on wood.) I was at hospice yesterday for four hours. It was a doubly special day: I saw our flock of goslings, eight of which are losing their down and earning their goosey markings, AND the cheese truck came! It was a nice change for lunch and lots of us treated ourselves. I had a great grilled cheese with a bit of pesto. So nice to eat something different.
The Dominican seminarians are now with us for the summer. I was in the hospital when they arrived but have now had time to get to know them a bit. They're young and very cerebral, doing good works but very caught up (righteously) on what they think is true. They don't see it that way--as their truth--only as "the truth." I just listen and say okay, uh-huh--which is not the same as yes!--and they really don't seem to recognize that I might disagree--how could I disagree with truth?--they haven't even asked. And they have no clue what a Unitarian might be (except wrong about the Trinity, obviously!) They've lectured to me about Thomas Aquinas and his Summa and the various daughters of Sin everyday this week. Well, at least I'm learning something. Our older Catholic priest just rolls his eyes! He's practically a hippie from the 1960s, in line with Pope Francis, a fan of liberation theology and mostly focused on the love of Jesus. The brothers like John Paul II and have rigid ideas about sin and salvation and the sacraments. It's going to be an interesting summer.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Gommie will be here next week! We're still trying to figure out some new and fun things to do. After 16 years of visiting Connecticut, she's seen and done a lot. But we're looking.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Last night, Mama and I went to a department party at a go-kart place. We didn't ride--though she wants to go back with the kids and her brother. Instead, we played Skeeball and ice hockey and had a lot of fun. And there's always good food at the parties--squash tacos, carne asada tacos, quesadillas, empanadas, french fries, tater tots with lime salt, chicken wings, little pepperoni pizzas! Yum, yum!
-=-=-=-=-=-
In my next post, I'll introduce our new foster cat, Romeo . . . . he arrives tomorrow. It's a long story.

No comments:
Post a Comment