I have to go to the dentist today.
I hate the dentist. Not just my particular, current dentist, but all dentists. Not the people themselves, just their professions.
I know it goes way back to childhood. I had some horrid dentist coupled with some bad genetics. I had lots of cavities and they would fill them all at once in a tiny room with lots of adults and drills and shots. I remember fear and pain. And shots.
And so I'm an awful mom. My memories of the dentist get in the way of my own kiddos. I hate taking them. And I've even put off appointments. I'm passing along my phobia. (And it's not generational--my mom loves going to the dentist. But then she's had very few problems.)
Actually, I've been very lucky. Cavities as a child, now some wear at the gumline that hurts. No root canals, no crowns. Very lucky.
I hope I'm as lucky today.
But I still hate going.
It is not luck, it is sensible, thoughtful eating. Kids teeth in this countryare dreadful....excessive amounts of sugary drinks, as simple as that. And go easy with the electric brush, I am down to a quick 30 seconds on dentists advice. I trust him, he is South African.
ReplyDelete