Having started shopping last week and cooking on Monday, today I'm doing some fun prep while I'm waiting for it to snow. (In fact, I think it might have just changed to snow now! It'll probably change back and forth a few times.) Yesterday, I made those delicious chocolate pecan bars, plus 7 Up LIme Jello Salad, Mama's cranberry horseradish relish, and even some Texas Trash/Chex Mix with the kids. Today I made some granola for breakfast and put up a jar of Grandmother's Pickled Beets (well, that sounds more impressive than it is.) We have a bit more to do tonight and then all the regular cooking tomorrow. Should be great. And so, I'm enjoying the calm before the storm--both literally and proverbially.
Happy Thanksgiving!!!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Grandmother's Pickled Beets
beets (2 cans beets, drained; or equivalent raw beets, peeled, sliced, and simmered until tender, 30-60 minutes)
1 cup vinegar
2/3 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
Please beets in big jar. In saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar, and salt. Boil 5 minutes until hot. Fill beet jars. Do not cover. Let cool to room temperature; cover. Set in refrigerator overnight. Ready to eat in 12-24 hours.
my paternal grandmother
No comments:
Post a Comment