Friday, April 27, 2012

My Psychogeography

If I understand correctly, psychogeography is the psychological interaction of a person with her or his environment (though I also understand it can be urban radicalism or even inventive ways of exploring the environment, i.e. following a walking tour in NYC that recreates the Yankee symbol).

In that case, my psychogeography is in flux.  At first, I never really considered my movements through the landscape, except as I mapped the quickest way to school, playdates, or the grocery store.  Then, for about a year, my only explorations were within the confines of my house.

Recently, I've been able to drive again.  First around the block, then to the local store about a half mile away, then two miles.  And today I reached a milestone:  5 miles!  I drove to the kids' school and back!!  This is huge for me. Indeed, it makes my psychogeographic map comparatively gigantic.  With the school now inside my borders, I have pretty much everything I need--groceries, home goods, restaurants, friends, and school.  The only parts of my regular journeys that are outside my boundaries are church and kung fu.  But I can build up to that.

A mile at a time.

1 comment:

  1. You must feel great about being able to get around on your own now! I am so happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete