After brief introductions all around outlining our spiritual biographies, the minister led us in a fascinating activity on the theological spectrum. She set up three chairs spaced widely and said we could choose any spot on the continuum except the middle. And then she asked labeled the points, one after another, as we reshuffled ourselves as we saw fit:
- On one end, you believe in God, as you define it, and feel it as a force in your life; on the other, you believe there is no overriding force in the universe.
- On one end, you find prayer a waste of time, particularly because there is no way to pray to; on the other, you find prayer, however you define it, a useful, reflective, meditative practice.
- On one end, you believe that some aspect of yourself exists after the death of your physical body; on the other, you believe that when you die, the only thing left of you is others' memories and the effects of your actions.
- On one end, you believe there is not outside calling and that any such belief is psychological in origin; on the other, you believe in a calling above and beyond your own mind.
- On one end, evil exists in the world as a separate entity; on the other, any evil in the world is the result of human action and choice.
How far has that moved on the continuum of belief for me! Mama was more spiritual, more believing than I was for every question, except evil, which she agreed was human. But that doesn't surprise me or her, as she has always been more spiritual than I was (though the minister, good UU/Buddhist that she is, still balked when Mama explained that she believed that the Christian God existed but that she chose not to pay any attention to him, preferring others like Gupathai, her ancestral spirit, good polytheist that she is! The minister was also interested in the good karma of moving bugs along the wheel of reincarnation and how parents are beholden to their children from previous lives. Though, the minister did talk about reincarnation not as memorable lives such as "I was Napoleon," but as the transference of energy).
Where do you stand?
-=-=-=-=-=-=
We ate this at brunch during class, a wonderful rich food for discussing theology and the like:
1 loaf French bread (13 to 16 ounces)
8 large eggs
2 cups half-and-half
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Dash salt
Praline Topping, recipe follows
Maple syrup
Slice French bread into 20 slices, 1-inch each. (Use any extra bread for garlic toast or bread crumbs). Arrange slices in a generously buttered 9 by 13-inch flat baking dish in 2 rows, overlapping the slices. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and beat with a rotary beater or whisk until blended but not too bubbly. Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spread Praline Topping evenly over the bread and bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. Serve with maple syrup.
Praline Topping:
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and blend well. Makes enough for Baked French Toast Casserole.
You asked so I am telling you...and whoever reads this.
ReplyDeleteI believe in The Big Bang...one day God said 'BANG' and all the things that we know and do not know started then in a Darwinian fashion. So on the 2011 Census when asked for religion I entered under 'other' Theist. I do not deride the others except those bent on destroying any other religion. Having said that I follow most of the 10 commandments most of the time. No doubt other beliefs have a similar set of rules that I could accommodate, I just happen not to know them. I await with interest other replies.
And to Mommy Hungry...I got the idea from Marcy P in Casa Kolbe, I recall she was a Methodist?