I'm still missing my Starbucks's mocha frappuccino. And so I've been checking out other options.
First, the McD's Mocha Frappe is a good substitute for the old mocha frap, though it is sweeter and more chocolatey (less coffee)--they even use the fudge from their sundaes as the drizzle! But at 560 calories for a medium, that's too rich for regular consumption (even in a small sans whipped cream and drizzle). But at $2.50 ish, it's a good two dollars cheaper than my old drink.
Secondly, I have looked into making my own mocha frap and keep coming across the following recipe. I just need to find my ice trays and I'll give it a try this weekend (or next playgroup!).
-=-=-=-=-=-
My Own Mocha Frappuccino
make 6 cups of dark roast coffee for the best flavor
use 2/3 of a cup of cocoa powder, plus additional cocoa powder for garnish
2 cups nonfat milk for the best results
Fill ice-cube trays with half of the brewed coffee and place in the freezer. In a bowl, combine the remaining brewed coffee, cocoa powder and milk and stir to dissolve the cocoa. Cover and chill. When the ice cubes have frozen, put them in a blender and grind them but not too much, just enough so they . Fill 4 glasses with the crushed ice and divide the coffee-cocoa mixture evenly among them. Dust the top with cocoa powder and serve.
You can also put whipped cream on top for the final touch. This recipe is designed to make 4 cups of Mocha Frappuccino so you and 3 other people can enjoy it.
Try this for one frappuccino:
ReplyDelete2 T Hills Brothers Cappuccino drink mix (I've tried several flavors and like them all...the sugar-free is about 50 cal. for 2 T)
1 T Folgers Instant Coffee
I add a pkg of sweetener (you might not want it)
Measure these into a cup and stir/whisk in 1/2 cup boiling water until dissolved.
Pour over a cup or so of ice (you have to experiment with the amount)
Add a little milk, if you like (I use less than 1/4 cup of 1% milk...about 25 cal.)
Blend...it's pretty good; fairly close to the mocha frappuccino, I think. Tweaking may be necessary!
About 75 calories at a negligible cost