Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Adventures in Cooking Our CSA Share: How Not to Boil Water

Okay, officially we haven't gotten any corn in our CSA share this year, but we will. And there is great corn in the markets right now.

Plus, I think I've finally hit on the best way I know to cook corn on the cob. Boil a big pot of water. When water is boiling, drop in corn, cover, and turn off heat. Leave in water for 10 minutes.

I've done it twice and it has been perfect both times.

Now, I know my cousins who grow corn read this blog: how do you cook your corn?

And, in the event that I ever have leftovers, which I haven't so far, what do you like to do with it? Cornbread? Corn pudding? Cold salads?

Happy not boiling!

1 comment:

  1. I say whatever works best for you is the way you should do it! If it's been perfect the way you've done it lately, why do it differently?

    We have gotten to where we microwave it, as often as not. Wayne usually takes care of it himself and may nuke it for about 3 minutes per ear. I think it goes in the microwave fully dressed...just like it came from the field. Maybe he turns it over about halfway through...maybe not.

    When cooking a lot of ears, though, the big pot of boiling water is pretty efficient and the shucking is done before you put it in the water...not while it's hot enough to remove your fingerprints!

    Leftover corn? What's that?

    (But the dishes you mention sound like just the ticket if you do have leftover corn.)

    ReplyDelete