Thursday, December 20, 2007

Prayers in Yarn

When the babes were just newborns, my first outing without them as a new mother was to a Prayer Shawl workshop at a local church. Founded by two graduates of a Women's Leadership Institute at the Hartford Seminary, this ministry encourages the thoughtful creation of knitted or crocheted (or even woven or quilted) shawls and lap blankets for people in crisis. As a beginner knitter and crocheter, I attended the workshop to learn about the spiritual side of shawl creation from the founders themselves in hopes of making shawls for friends in need or for my church. It was an inspiring day and I have made several shawls since that time (though not so recently).

I was asked a few weeks ago by one of my shawl recipients if she might pass on her shawl to a friend of hers in need. Touched that the shawl meant so much to her, I said I was honored. She had been worried that I would be upset that she parted with it. Not in the slightest. In fact, I think this recycling of shawls, especially by people who don't make handicrafts, is a wonderful addition to the ministry and a way of keeping the cycle going.

Blessed Be.

-=-=-=

My Version of the Shawl Pattern: I use the basic pattern in Lion Brand homespun (which is controversial in the movement because many think that Lion Brand has not only begun to make cheaper yarn but also capitalized on the movement for profit, but I can get it relatively cheap in lots of colors and I like the way it looks). Acrylic yarns, I think, are best for this (as for baby blankets) because they can be washed easily. I try to find out the person's favorite color beforehand. I add long fringe on each end. And then tie a charm or two into the fringe, usually something small with a spiral or heart or a word of hope, depending on the character of the recipient. I then give the recipient the shawl, wrapped in paper and tied up with a piece of the yarn, along with a card noting that it was made specifically for her or him in love and meditation.

No comments:

Post a Comment