Monday, March 7, 2016

Stole-n Rainbow

We're attending the ordination of a friend as a new UCC (United Church of Christ) minister this coming weekend.  And I had asked all my UU minister friends for their suggestions on appropriate gifts (see below for the other suggestions.)  I decided to crochet a stole but couldn't find any patterns, just a few photos without any information or even original sources.  Most of the handmade stoles are quilted or woven.  But my friend's wife is an incredible quilter, so I wasn't going to sew anything.

Mama and I talked over a possible pattern, looking at the various shapes and ideas online.  We went with a basic "V" without any increases to widen the "arms."  I chose a Granny Square as the base of the "V" and the ends, though I also considered a mitered square.  I chose rainbow because my friend is also a lesbian and because of the UCC's embrace and support of same-sex marriage.  And I liked the rainbow with black, instead of white, suggestive of a stained glass window.  

I've never made up a pattern before.  I like how it turned out, though it's definitely handmade looking.  I hope she likes it.

-=-=-=-=-=-=

Crocheted Rainbow Granny Square Minister's Stole
(please note:  I don't usually write patterns, but since I couldn't find one for a stole myself, I wanted to share what I came up with;  this is more of a suggestion of how I did it than an exact pattern. You can use your favorite Granny Square.)

skeins of red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, and black worsted weight yarn (I used Caron Simply Soft)
H hook


Note:  the stole "arms" have been twisted so
that the end squares face front in the photo.
Granny Squares (make 3)
With red yarn, make a magic ring and chain 3.
Round 1 (red):  2dc, *ch 2, 3 dc, ch 2* 3 times, connect with sl st to first dc.  Fasten off (change colors.)

Round 2 (orange):  Attach new color (orange) in ch 2 sp with sl st, ch 3, 2dc, in next three ch 2 sp *3dc, ch 2, 3 dc*, in original ch 2 sp 3 dc, ch 2 and connect to first dc with sl st.  Fasten off (change color.)

Round 3 (yellow):  Attach new color (yellow) in ch 2 sp with sl st, ch 3, 2dc. In spaces between 3dc clusters, 3dc.  In each corner *3dc, ch 2, 3 dc*.  When you return to original ch 1 sp,  3 dc, ch 2 and connect to first dc with sl st.  Fasten off (change color.)

Round 4 (green):  repeat Round 3

Round 5 (blue):  repeat Round 3

Round 6 (purple):  dc in each stitch, and dc, ch2, dc in corner sp.

With one Granny Square (for the back/corner), begin crocheting along one side of the square in black to make the length of the stole (I attached the black with a slip stitch.)  I used a Trinity pattern--3 rows of sc, 1 row of dc--and repeated until I reached the desired length.  Do this twice, using adjoining sides of the Granny Square, so that it forms a "V" or "L" shape.

Attach each of the other two Granny Squares to the other end of the stole lengths using a slip stitch.  Be sure they are facing the correct direction; when the stole is laid flat, the right sides of the all Granny Squares face the same direction so that they drape correctly (in the photo, the stole "arms" have been twisted so that the end squares face front.)

Border the entire stole in black using single crochet.

Weave in all ends and block appropriately.

Mommy Hungry


-=-=-=-=-=-
Other suggested gifts:  Something hand-made (since you are an artist)--prayer shawl, colorful cloths or runners for decorating altars. A sculpture, "prayer" flags (there are a bunch in the Northern Sun catalog), sun catcher, dream-catcher, framed art/poster, a sculpture, book of poetry or story collections, a set of children's stories you think a minister should have, a really nice bottle of champagne, a gift certificate for a nice dinner for two (or four), flower seeds and a trowel and a pretty planter, a vase, a set of adult coloring books and 60 markers, a finger labyrinth, a stole decorated by the family, boxes of beautiful blank cards, Northern Sun for posters, an awesome angel.

No comments:

Post a Comment